Juicy fresh summer tomatoes are the stars of this classic Italian salad. It's like bruschetta deconstructed! Crisp bread cubes and fresh basil add an appealing flourish.
- 3 to 4 cups of Italian bread chunks (bite-sized pieces (1 inch of smaller))
- 1 1/2 pounds of flavorful ripe tomatoes (about 3 medium sized tomatoes) (diced)
- 1/3 cup of cured pitted olives (kalamata works great) (sliced)
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves (very finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup
of vegan mozzarella cheese shreds (or finely diced vegan mozzarella or jack cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 300° F
Arrange the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl and toss together. Just before serving, stir in the bread cubes until well combined.