Warm, nutritious, and incredibly delicious! This is the best vegan stew you’ll ever make! Perfect for cooler weather or whenever you want a bowlful of comfort. Rich in flavor with satisfying beans and slow-cooked, colorful vegetables.
1 large yellow potato (or potatoes of your choice), peeled and chopped into ½” cubes
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into ½” cubes
2–3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
2 medium ribs of celery, thinly sliced
1 medium sweet yellow onion, diced
1–2 garlic cloves, crushed
1–2 tablespoons of olive oil
3–4 cups of vegetable broth
½ teaspoon of dried thyme
½ teaspoon of oregano
½ teaspoon of rosemary
½ teaspoon of sage
¼ teaspoon of paprika (smoked paprika is a great option!)
½ teaspoon of salt (or to your taste)
½ teaspoon of black pepper
¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
1 can of kidney beans (or beans of your choice), drained and rinsed
½ cup frozen corn kernels
½ cup frozen sweet green peas
2 cups of baby spinach, chopped (optional)
- Wash, scrub and peel the potatoes and carrots. Wash and slice the celery. Place in a large bowl.
- Drain and rinse the beans and put aside for later.
- Dice the onion and crush the garlic cloves.
- Place the dutch oven over medium heat. When heated, add the oil and onions. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and celery to the pot and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. If needed, add a little splash of water to keep the vegetables from sticking.
- Add in the spices and vegetable broth. Stir well. Cover and turn heat to medium high.
- When the contents start to boil, turn the heat down to medium (or medium low, depending on your stove) and let simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Then, include the beans, corn, and peas to the pot. Stir well and let cook for another 5 minutes or more.
- When the stew appears thick and creamy, it’s done. Taste and adjust spice and salt to your liking.
- Add in the chopped baby spinach (if desired) and stir well.
- Serve with homemade bread (or warm rolls) and a crisp, green salad.
- Oil-free Version – You can completely eliminate the oil in this recipe and use water for sautéing the vegetables.
- Instant Pot Method – Follow steps 1-3 of the recipe. Use the Instant Pot sauté button to cook the onions and garlic. Do the same with the chopped vegetables. Add in the broth and spices. Pour in the beans, corn, and peas. Stir well. Cover and seal the Instant Pot. Press the manual button and choose 35 minutes for the cooking time. When the timer is done, either let naturally release or release the pressure after 5 minutes. Add the optional baby spinach and stir well. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. The stew will not be as thick or creamy, but it will still be delicious.
- Slow Cooker Method – Follow steps 1-5, using the stovetop for 4 and 5. Add the vegetables to the slow cooker along with the broth and spices. Cook on low for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high. Add in the beans, corn, peas and baby spinach and let cook for another 30 minutes. As with the Instant Pot, the stew will not be as thick or creamy, but it will still be delicious.
- Gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals
Keywords: gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, comfort, dinner, warm, stew