You can never have too many kinds of hummus! This gorgeous pink hummus with beetroot is ridiculously creamy with a hint of sweetness. Perfect for snacking on or to please guests with. Roasted beats are truly magical!
- 15 oz of canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium-sized beetroots, cooked
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- Lemon juice (1 lemon)
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Toasted pita bread, to serve
- coriander leaves (optional), chopped
- 1 tablespoon of dukkah spice mix (optional)
- Pomegranate (optional, half a fruit)
- Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan)
- Cut each beetroot into 6 pieces, then put them in a roasting tin, and sprinkle with the cumin seeds, maple syrup, and oil.
- Season well and roast for 25 minutes. Alternately, if you’re short on time, you can use vacuum-packed beetroot, without vinegar.
- Put the beetroot in a food processor, add the chickpeas, lemon juice and tahini, and blitz until smooth. Add a splash of water to loosen the mixture if necessary. Season with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Spoon into the center of a plate or a shallow bowl. Using the back of a spoon, rock the base back and forth to spread the mixture out to form a bowl shape.
- To finish, sprinkle with the coriander leaves and dukkah spice if you like. You can also add some pomegranate seeds. Drizzle over a generous amount of oil, then serve with pitta bread or toasted rye bread.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: pink, hummus, beetroot, beets, appetizer