In celebration of Chinese New Year, we’re excited to share this delicious vegan wonton recipe!
Known as the Spring Festival in China, Chinese New Year is the country’s most important celebration, lasting for a week and marked by visits to family and friends, special meals, fireworks, and gift giving. This special day kicks off the new year and traditional foods are eaten especially on the eve of the holiday, to bring increased luck in the coming year. Chinese dumplings are one of these foods, symbolizing wealth and prosperity.
Dumplings are essentially dough wrapped around a filling. They can be savory or sweet, and can be cooked by frying, boiling, simmering, or steaming them. Of all the dumplings, the wonton is my favorite. They are surprisingly easy and fun to make with a group. Plus, this is a great recipe to gets kids cooking in the kitchen!
If you’re hoping to celebrate a vegan Chinese New Year, have some fun with friends and family and make a batch of these delicious dumplings to summon good fortune! Pair these with your favorite sauce, such as ginger soy, sweet and sour, or teriyaki, and dip away!
- 40 vegan wonton wrappers (available at Asian foods stores)
- 11 ounces Beyond Meat Beefy Crumble
- 1/4 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 ginger, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add the green onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the Beyond Meat and cook 5-7 minutes until it is heated through.
- Stir in the water chestnuts, tamari, and rice vinegar. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place the wonton wrappers on a flat surface and spoon a heaping tablespoon of the filling into the center of each wrapper.
- Wet the edges of the wrapper by dipping your finger in water and gliding it around the edge.
- Fold the wrapper in half diagonally to form a triangle. Press the edges together firmly to seal.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, flip, and bake another 5 minutes. Alternatively, you could also fry them in oil for about 5 minutes until crispy or air fry them.
- Serve with tamari or your favorite dipping sauce.