Brunch just doesn’t feel complete without French toast—am I right? But don’t worry, no chickadees need to die and no mother hens need be kept in a tiny cage for months on end for this recipe. In fact, you really don’t need eggs at all to make a fluffy French toast that is uber-delicious.
We turned to vegan chef duo Masha and Michael to bring you a great recipe for vegan French toast. As the founders of The Minimalist Vegan, this passionate pair is on a mission to eat the best food while living mindfully. They’ve concocted a book full of vegan recipes that excite the palate while also remaining kind to animals, our bodies, and the planet. So without further ado, here’s their recipe for vegan French toast. Enjoy!
- 1 cup almond milk (or any other nut milk)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 4-5 slices thick sourdough bread
- Coconut oil for frying
- ½ cup maple syrup (or more if you like it sweet)
- Whisk all ingredients but the bread and maple syrup together.
- In a shallow bowl, place the liquid and each slice of bread to soak well on each side for around 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- Once soaked well, heat coconut oil in frying pan.
- Place soaked bread on the pan and fry on each side until golden brown on medium-low heat.
- Drizzle bread with maple syrup or other desired topping and serve while warm.
Cover photo by The Minimalist Vegan.