The Recipe: Beefy Vegan Tacos
Total Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty level: Beginner
Recipe by: Greg Hicks
- Soft tortillas or crunchy taco shells (your pick!)
- 24 oz of vegan ground beef (two packages)
- 16 oz of plain tomato sauce (2 small cans)
- 2 oz of vegan Worcestershire sauce (watch out for anchovies!)
- 1 tablespoon of Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Tabasco (5 drops, optional)
- Lettuce or cabbage, shredded
- Onion, finely diced
- Jalapeno, finely diced
- Tomatoes, diced
- Avocado, sliced
- Vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
Over medium heat, add vegan beefy crumbles, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, basil, garlic powder, oregano, and Tabasco (optional). If the mixture appears very thick and dry, add a splash of water.
Cook covered for 5 minutes. Then uncover and allow to simmer until moist but not liquidy.
Heat soft tortillas or taco shells, assemble the vegan tacos with your favorite fixings, and enjoy!
Many thanks to my birthfather Greg Hicks for contributing this recipe! He went vegan soon after we met this year (31 years after I was born), and has now been plant-based for more than two months! This is one of his old family recipes that he veganized, and it’s awesome. Enjoy!
Cover photo from Canva.com.