Move over, tuna! The surprise ingredient in these “tuna” salad sandwiches? Chickpeas. This versatile legume takes on the taste of the sea while delivering a protein punch. It’s perfect as a sandwich filling or on a bed of lettuce.
This vegan tuna salad sandwich recipe appears in my book, MeatLess: Transform the Way You Eat and Live — One Meal at a Time, published by Da Capo Press, 2017.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup egg-free mayonnaise (I like Just Mayo)
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon nori flakes, optional
- 4-8 slices bread or 2-4 whole wheat wraps
- Tomato slices, optional
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- In a medium bowl, mash chickpeas with a potato masher or fork until crumbly.
- Combine remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Serve immediately by making sandwiches or wraps, or refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Makes 2 very stuffed or 4 lightly stuffed sandwiches or wraps.
- Pro-Tip: Mix in 1/4 cup roasted unsalted sunflower kernels to give the salad a little extra crunch and a blast of vitamins B and E.